Nebraska’s Multi-tiered System of Support (NeMTSS) is a framework designed through the lens of continuous improvement to guide school districts, schools, and all educators to ensure each and every student has access to learning experiences that enhance their educational outcomes.
NeMTSS at a Glance
What is NeMTSS?
- NeMTSS is a framework to guide continuous improvement
- Framework used to provide support to all learners
- Promotes an integrated whole child system of general education and special education
- Provides early intervention for students who need support to reach their academic or behavioral goals
- Uses high-quality, standards-based instruction and interventions backed by research
- Addresses students’ academic, social-emotional and behavioral needs
- Helps identify students who may need special education
- High-quality Tier 1 Core Instruction
- Response‐to‐Intervention (RtI)
- Positive Behavioral Interventions and Support (PBIS)
- Special education eligibility determination
- Integrated whole child academic, social-emotional and behavioral core instruction and supports
- Early prevention and intervention
- Capacity building for all educators
- Examining systems-level data to identify variables that are producing current results
Layered Continuum of Supports
Students’ progress is monitored and instruction and intervention are provided in varying intensities based on individual need. NeMTSS organizes instruction and intervention into three tiers, which provide different levels of support.
Tier 1 | Core
All students receive high-quality, core academic, social, emotional, and behavioral instruction and supports.
Tier 2 | Targeted Support
Students needing additional support receive more focused, targeted, small-group instruction/intervention and supports, in addition to core academic, social, emotional, and behavioral curriculum and instruction.
Tier 3 | Intensified Support
Individual students receive the most intense instruction based on individual student need, in addition to core and supplemental academic, social, emotional, and behavioral curriculum, instruction and supports.